Steve Bailey Fretless Bass Lesson Part 5
We hope you have been enjoying the series of lessons from Steve Bailey. After a couple of weeks hiatus, we are back with part five.
- Exercise Continued: Steve picks up the exercise where he left off in Part 4, completing the sixths exercise in typical impressive fashion. This particular exercise starts off slowly in this video, but he kicks into some roving sixth riffs, moving up and down the neck, around the 0:20 mark. He especially points out how he is working in some rather nuanced microtonal work to keep himself in tune / intone. Good stuff.
- Stacked Sixths Exercise: Bailey runs through an exercise that uses two separate sixth intervals stacked on top of each other. Check out the fingering on this one and try it for yourself. Not easy on fretless, to say the least. Heck, it would be challenging on a fretted bass for many of us.
- Minor Sixths: Steve jumps into minor sixths and points out the differences from major sixth intervals.
- All Sixths Exercise: Steve shows off the various fingerings for major and minor sixths, using the dual notes more as chords. He also mixes in tenths and quite a few of the other intervals he covered in earlier videos. This is actually a decent sounding exercise rather than just a scale or display.
- Song: “Too Loud, Too Fast, Too Bad” – Holy crap! He jumps right into a jamming, upbeat song with the full band. The opening has him playing a very Jaco-esque rapid-fire picking line. This video is worth catching just for this jam. The guitarist does a pretty sweet chicken-picking part that I enjoyed. [I’ll refrain from commenting on his Journey-wannabe style and mullet since he’s so damn good.] Stick with it until the 6 minute mark and Steve embarks on a solo that you’ll want to hear, which he kicks off with nice artificial harmonics. The two of them then start trading off riffs after the 8 minute mark. They continue through this for the duration of the video.
There are the cliffs notes. Give a look at the video below for yourself!http://fretlessbassguitarsite.com/2011/09/steve-bailey-fretless-bass-lesson-part-5/http://fretlessbassguitarsite.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Steve-Bailey-Fretless-Bass-5.jpghttp://fretlessbassguitarsite.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Steve-Bailey-Fretless-Bass-5-150x150.jpgHow-To'sVideobass,chunk 5,fretless,lesson,steve bailey,Too Bad,Too Fast,Too Loud
We hope you have been enjoying the series of lessons from Steve Bailey. After a couple of weeks hiatus, we are back with part five. Video Contents Exercise Continued: Steve picks up the exercise where he left off in Part 4, completing the sixths exercise in typical impressive fashion. This particular...Tommy Landrytommy@fretlessbassguitarsite.comAdministratorFretless Bass Guitar Hub