Steve Bailey Fretless Bass Lesson Part 1
We recently had a request via our Facebook Page to curate and post good instructional videos, so we have been researching what is available over the past couple of weeks.
The first content we would like to share comes courtesy of the one and only Steve Bailey, fretless bass guitar player extraordinaire! Steve created a series of instructional videos back in 2009 that are all well worth watching for fretless bassists of all skill levels. It starts basic, but doesn’t stay there for long.
- Jam Session: The video starts out with Steve jamming alongside a guitarist and drummer, showing off his chops via unison riffs and other nice fretless techniques. Watch for yourself to see what you think.
- Quick verbal overview of what will be covered in the series of videos
- Advice: Steve takes a moment to caution that being in tone is crucial for a variety of techniques
- Bass Solo: Next, the 3-piece band fires off into a crazy ass solo bass section with drum accompaniment. He does a ton of cool stuff including speed picking, chords, and walking lines, before returning to the song structure we heard at the start of this video
- Quick tuning section
- Unit One: Basic Octave Intonation – Steve explains what he means and how to practice to train your ear for hearing good intonation
- Unit One: Example 1 – As the most basic exercise in the whole series, even Steve admits that the first exercise is a pretty lame octave full note riff. But hey, you have to start somewhere, right?
All-in-all, he displays lots of chop-friendly bass playing, most notably his use of chords and thumb fretting techniques for crazy arpeggios. Check out the video embedded below:http://fretlessbassguitarsite.com/2011/08/steve-bailey-fretless-bass-lesson-part-1/http://fretlessbassguitarsite.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Steve-Bailey-Fretless-Bass.jpghttp://fretlessbassguitarsite.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Steve-Bailey-Fretless-Bass-150x150.jpgHow-To'sVideofretless,how to,lesson,octaves,steve bailey,video